Definition of Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS) in the Network Encyclopedia.
What is RRAS (Routing and Remote Access Service)?
RRAS stands for Routing and Remote Access Service is a feature of Windows Server operating systems family that provides additional support for TCP/IP internetworking.
RRAS makes it possible to create applications to administer the routing and remote access service capabilities of the operating system. Developers can also use RRAS to implement routing protocols.
Routing and remote access service (RRAS) can be used to:
- Remote access (e.g. employees accessing the corporate network from their homes).
- Site-to-site connectivity (e.g. branch office connecting to headquarters).
- Internet access router (e.g. NAT router facing internet).
- LAN router (e.g. multiple ethernet links).
- Any combination of the above scenarios.
- Static filtering (to protect the RRAS box – as it sits on the edge of the network). This can be enabled on public/private interfaces as well as per PPP interface (i.e. per remote access clients based upon remote access policy).
- Automatic generation of client VPN profile using connection manager administration kit (CMAK). This smoothens out the creation of VPN connection on the remote access users’ PC (they just need to click and install an application and ready to go).
- Enable multicast forwarding (e.g. if you have a multicast video feed from a corporate network that needs to be relayed to remote access clients/sites) using IGMP Proxy
- Enable unicast routing through RIP (e.g. if you have multiple routers on the LAN side).
- Various authentication schemes (MSCHAPv2, EAP-TLS, EAP-smart-card) including two-factor authentication (smart-tokens)
- Strong encryption algorithm and PKI based certificate infrastructure.
RRAS substitute RAS
Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS) replaces the existing Remote Access Service (RAS) on Windows NT 4 and fully supports the existing capabilities of RAS.
Turn your Windows Server 2016 into a router with RRAS
Configuring a VPN with Routing and Remote Access Service